I get asked all the time by potential sellers in Fort McMurray: “What do I need to do to get my house ready to sell?”. There are many things you could do, but it depends on how much money you want/have to spend on these items, how much time you have to do the changes and how much time you want to wait before getting your home listed. My main message in the type of market we’re in today in Fort McMurray (a buyer’s market) is to spend as little money as possible. It will also depend on how stressful you find it to get your home ready to sell...I would recommend only doing a few things on “the basics” list if you find it stressful to get your home ready.
If you are working a shutdown at site and don’t have a lot of time to devote to getting your home ready, then consider hiring a cleaner or someone to help you so that you can spend your time working or with your family. If you’d like me to put together a tailored list of things to do that will best suit your home and situation, then please let me know. I am happy to help!
1. The Basics:
2. The Next Level:
- Put away laundry & dirty dishes
- Take down personal items (especially personal photos)
- Mow the lawn or shovel the snow from your driveway
- Remove evidence of pets (wherever possible)
- Declutter (early packing!)
- Basic cleaning including mirrors & floors
- Keep surfaces as clear as possible
- Replace burned out lightbulbs
- Finish any partial renovation jobs (if applicable)
- Move items away from windows to let in plenty of natural light
- Touch up paint (including baseboards) if necessary
- Add flowers in the front of the house (colour is nice!)
- More of a deep clean including washing windows
- Declutter closets so that they are not overflowing
- Have a pre-inspection done and fix major items
It is important to know that steam cleaning carpets is really only required if the carpets are in really bad shape or if it’s a very expensive home. Most times, buyers will ask the seller to clean the carpets before possession, so be careful how much money you spend to get the house ready to list when you may have to do it again (later in the transaction). If your home is already vacant, then don’t worry - we sell plenty of homes that are vacant and they sell just as well. Just think...it will be easier for buyers to imagine what their own stuff will look like in the home if it isn’t filled with your personal belongings. As well, the space will look bigger!
- Add flowers inside (especially in the kitchen/living room)
- Repaint walls & baseboards that are in rough shape (if applicable)
- Stage your home (Final Touch in Wood Buffalo is a great place for these items!)
- Fix minor items on your pre-inspection report
If you have any questions or would like some suggestions on getting your home ready to sell, then feel free to contact me at 780-804-4800! I look forward to speaking with you.